- Visit will contain a moderated discussion at midday with Dean Hari M. Osofsky and the determination of Chicago Avenue and the Legislation College courtyard in honor of the late Justice John Paul Stevens, JD ’47 at 4 p.m.
- Media should RSVP to media relations to address dialogue and/or devotion
- Upon arrival, media associates must current a photo ID or press pass
- Inquire with media relations to obtain the registration connection to observe virtually
CHICAGO — U.S. Supreme Court Justice Elena Kagan will take a look at Northwestern Pritzker College of Law as the Howard J. Trienens Visiting Judicial Scholar on Wednesday, Sept. 14, and take part in a moderated dialogue with Legislation School Dean Hari M. Osofsky.
Kagan, who very last frequented the Law College in 2015, will also take part in the commitment of Chicago Avenue exterior the Law College as Justice John Paul Stevens Way and the Legislation Faculty courtyard as Justice John Paul Stevens Courtyard. Stevens graduated magna cum laude from the Regulation School in 1947 and served as co-editor-in-main of the Northwestern College Legislation Evaluation.
Media planning to address the dialogue and/or perseverance have to RSVP to Max Witynski by means of cellphone at 847-467-6105 or e-mail at [email protected] by midday, Monday, Sept. 12. Limited media seats are out there. See added media guidelines down below.
Kagan’s moderated discussion with Dean Osofsky will take spot from midday to 1 p.m. (CST) on Wednesday, Sept. 14 in the Regulation School’s Thorne Auditorium, 375 E. Chicago Ave. The Chicago Ave. and courtyard perseverance will stick to from 4 to 5 p.m. in the Law School’s courtyard.
- Media covering the discussion really should arrive by 11:30 a.m. and check in at the media table outside the house of Thorne Auditorium just before becoming directed to the selected media area. Media should existing push move or photo ID upon arrival.
- Media covering the courtyard devotion will need to re-signal in in advance of getting into the courtyard, even if they formerly lined the discussion.
- Media have to continue to be in selected media regions, with transient exceptions for still photographers.
- Continue to photographers might go down to the stage with an escort for near-ups of Kagan for two minutes at the commencing of the discussion and once again for two minutes at the conclude. In the course of the devotion, they will have to continue to be in the designated media area.
- Online video cameras will have to run from a fastened situation in the designated media region.
- Inquire with media relations to receive the registration backlink to enjoy practically.
The Howard J. Trienens Traveling to Scholar Plan enables Northwestern Pritzker Regulation to invite a major jurist to the school to lecture and give college students and college with a viewpoint on the judicial method and modern legal troubles.
Kagan gained an A.B. from Princeton University in 1981, an M. Phil. from Oxford University in 1983 and a J.D. from Harvard Law College in 1986.
She clerked for Judge Abner Mikva of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit from 1986 to 1987 and for Justice Thurgood Marshall of the U.S. Supreme Court docket during the 1987 time period. Right after briefly working towards regulation at a Washington, D.C., regulation business, she became a legislation professor, 1st at the College of Chicago Law College and afterwards at Harvard Legislation School. She also served for four several years in the Clinton Administration as affiliate counsel to the president and then as deputy assistant to the president for domestic policy.
Involving 2003 and 2009, she served as the dean of Harvard Regulation Faculty. In 2009, President Obama nominated her as the solicitor general of the United States, and a year later on, as an affiliate justice of the Supreme Court. She took her seat Aug. 7, 2010.
Earlier Howard J. Trienens speakers include things like Chief Justice John G. Roberts, Jr. Justice Sonia Sotomayor the late Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist late Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Antonin Scalia and John Paul Stevens, J.D. ’47 and retired Justices Anthony M. Kennedy and Sandra Working day O’Connor.
This year, Northwestern Pritzker Law is shelling out specific tribute to Stevens, 1 of its most distinguished alumni, in honoring him with the dedication of Chicago Avenue and the Law School courtyard.
The Howard J. Trienens Visiting Judicial Scholar Method was set up at Northwestern Pritzker Legislation in 1989 by partners of Sidley Austin to honor Howard Trienens’ provider to the organization and Northwestern. Trienens, who handed away past 12 months at 97, experienced been a spouse at Sidley Austin since 1956 and a longtime member of the Northwestern University Board of Trustees, serving as chairman from 1986 to 1995.
To learn far more about the Howard J. Trienens Checking out Judicial Scholar Method, go to http://www.law.northwestern.edu/legislation-faculty-life/gatherings/public-lectures/trienens/.